Prepare topping first.
- Melt 3 tbsps. butter or margarine in 9” round or 8”x8”x2” square pan.
- Sprinkle with ½ cup brown sugar.
- Over sugar arrange 4 slices Dole pineapple and Maraschino cherries.
Set aside while mixing cake part.
- Cream 1⁄3 cup shortening with ½ cup sugar.
- Add 1 egg, unbeaten, and 1 tsp. vanilla.
- Sift together 1¼ cups sifted flour, ¼ tsp. salt, 1½ tsps. baking powder.
- Add to first mixture alternately with ½ cup syrup drained from pineapple, beating smooth after each addition.
- Spread batter over pineapple in pan and bake in moderate oven (350°) 50 to 60 min.
- Turn out on plate, serve warm with whipped cream.
Serves 6 to 8.
This postcard is in honor of Chronicler’s Kitchen Krafts find. I haven’t tried the recipe yet, but surely any company-sponsored recipe found on the back of a cheap, hyper-saturated, out-of-register postcard from the mid-60s has got to be delicious, right?